Organization is a beautiful thing, especially when it comes in the form of this easy DIY French memo board!
I have REALLY come to appreciate this little item called a French memo board. Sometimes having an area of “No -commitment” is wonderful. Memo boards allow you to tuck whatever memory or photo strikes your fancy at the time. It’s like having a ever changing scrapbook for all the world to see. A french memo board is a perfect accessory for the dorm room if you are like me and sending another kiddo off to college (where did the time go?!?). This memo board came about as I was sitting in a hotel room in my oldest daughter’s college town…. I got ancy and needed to create something. Something
I could leave with her useful for her. So… with that being said- forgive the not so wonderful photos, pretty please.
Ok, here we go!
Art Canvas – pick the size you want
Chipboard letters – go big or small- up to you
finger nail polish- your choice of color
fabric to cover canvas- what ever stikes your fancy or coordinates with your college student’s dorm
Ribbon- to create the criss cross pattern to hold beloved objects and photos
Thumb tacks- to secure the ribbon to the canvas
Small charms- to add a little zip to the thumb tacks
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
1. Hot glue fabric on to canvas
3. Create an “X” pattern with your small ribbon and secure it with the thumbtack on the back side of canvas.
4. Find the center of your canvas (hint: the middle will probably be right at your canvas support bar)
5. Ok, you are now going to create a diamond pattern with your ribbon…
6. Now to add the pretties… add a little charm at each of the areas where the ribbon crosses. Start with using a thumtack. Push thumbtack through the canvas and use needle nose pliers to turn the sharp end towards the canvas. Next cut the little metal loop off your charms. Hot glue charms onto the thumbtack head.
7. Now, you are welcome to stop here and call it good BUT how fun would it be to add some groovy chipboad letters? and… while you are at it… wouldn’t it be great to paint said chipboard letters with… finger nail polish!
8. Grab your handy dandy glue gun and add your letters. That’s it! All that is left is to add your favorite photos.
Enjoy! Like I said in the beginning of this kinda long post…What a great dorm room project! You can add saw tooth hangers on the back and use the command hooks with the little nail addition (I have only been able to find these hooks at JoAnn’s Fabric store) or use the heavy duty velcro strips. How cool would these be stacked three across and three down? Talk about a statement in a small dorm room!